THE new nameplates for County of Montgomery have been completed by Procast Foundry in Cleckheaton. The two plates have been manufactured in the traditional manner employed by the Great Western Railway for the original ‘Counties’ and other named locomotives, featuring individually-cast brass letters mounted on a steel backplate, and surrounded by brass beading.
The plates have been generously sponsored by John Buxton of Cambrian Transport, to who we extend our grateful thanks. We hope to arrange a formal handover once the current Covid-19 crisis has abated.
Incidentally, these are not the first plates made for a locomotive named County of Montgomery. Swindon-built Hawksworth ‘County’ 4-6-0 No. 1021 previously carried the name between 1946 and 1963, but its nameplates were of the long, straight type carried by the class.